Funnies Extra!

School board discusses future of GBB program

3/19/09 (Thu)

Center-Stanton School Board members discussed the future of the girls’ basketball program at their monthly meeting March 16.

Head coach Michael Bergstrom met with girls last week to assess interest in playing basketball next season. According to his count, seven or eight girls said they would play basketball. To get a team on the court, he would have to play eighth graders on the varsity. This year’s Lady Wildcats placed third in Region 5 with nine girls on the team.

Superintendent Royal Lyson reported that two families have applied for open enrollment to other schools, which significantly affects the number on the team. Greg and Carrie Clayton are sending their three children to Washburn, and Ryan and Darby Henke are sending their four children to New Salem next year. Spanky Clayton and Sierra Henke, who played for Center-Stanton last season, will be sophomores next year.

Students who transfer to another school are not eligible to play on a varsity team for one year at that school.

Lyson asked the board if he should send a letter to Washburn High School exploring the possibility of a co-op with them.

"After the good year the team had last year, this open enrollment with two families doing that really upsets me," board member Nathan Henke said.

He advocated keeping the program as it is in Center-Stanton even if the numbers are low.

Center-Stanton athletic director Janet Erhardt said she has already scheduled seven home games.