The Beacon Sports

Type your webpage content here.

December 29, 2015

Beulah Boys hold on

The Beulah Boys basketball team didn’t look like they were in much trouble then the fourth quarter started, up by 20, but at the end of the quarter they were in trouble. Beulah needed some luck to win 89-88 at home against Des Lacs-Burlington.

The game started out a bit odd because Beulah Head Coach Jeremy Brandt wasn’t coaching. Brandt had to serve a  one-game suspension for being ejected by officials in Beulah’s season opener against Four Winds.

The game went back and forth with neither team taking much of an advantage. Eddie White Bear checked in at point guard for Des Lacs-Burlington and brought energy with his quickness and 3-point shooting.

Even though White Bear spent most of the quarter toying with Beulah defenders, John Suter showed some defensive  gamesmanship by gambling for a steal late in the first and proceeding to score a layup for Beulah.

At the end of one, the score was 18-18. Des Lacs-Burlington didn’t have the same level of success in the second quarter and Beulah built a 13-point, 47-34 lead.

At halftime the game continued heading toward a blowout Beulah win. Beulah led 73-50 near the end of the third, but a flurry of 3s by Ryan Bachmeier brought Des Lacs-Burlington within nine points with 2 minutes and 2 seconds left in the game.

Bachmeier made three 3-pointers and scored 11 points during the fourth quarter, making the score 83-74. Bachmeier’s shooting looked like it was going to go to waste with 1:10 left and Des Lacs-Burlington trailing 87-78.

Slowly things came un-raveled for Beulah. Reece Hoherz, Beulah junior guard, was called for carrying during a 5-0 Des Lacs-Burlington run, leaving Beulah’s lead at 89-85 with 18.5 seconds left.

White Bear made a 3-pointer, making the score 89-88 and Beulah failed to inbound the ball. Casey Walcker tried to pass the ball to the sideline, but it was tipped and fell out of bounds.

The horn sounded, but the refs decided to meet and review what they saw. After discussion, Des Lacs-Burlington was awarded the ball with .04 seconds left.

The Weather Network