Quality Lumber turns into Quality Storage
By Suzanne Werre
Saturday’s auction marked the end of an era as the last remnants of inventory of Quality Lumber was sold off to an approximately 100 bidders. After being a lumber yard since 1903, the buildings and property will no longer be used for selling and storing lumber and other home-improvement items.
The Quality Lumber office building and out-buildings, as well as some vacant lots were recently purchased by Stacie and Chris Anderson of Pick City, and they’re going to be making some changes at the former lumber yard, which is now called Underwood Quality Storage.
According to the Underwood History and Alumni Book, the original Quality Lumber building was moved to its current location near the railroad in 1903, moved in sections by a team of horses. After undergoing several different names and ownerships from since 1903, the Quality Lumber Company was purchased in July 1985 by Roland Koenig of Underwood. He owned and operated the business until June 2012, when it was sold to Melinda and Terry Stevahn of Bismarck. The lumber yard closed in May 2013, and was recently sold to Andersons.
The most obvious and visible change that can already be seen is at what is now called the Bunkhouse, the "back yard" of the lumber yard, where much of the store’s inventory was formerly held. The building is being converted into 14 rental storage units, several of which should be ready for rental very soon.