First Congregational Church in Wing has final service
Submitted By Rosemary Moses
It was with lots of emotion and celebration that the First Congregational Church in Wing held it’s last and final service after 97 years of service to the community on Sept. 14, 2008. This is a short history of the churches first written by Mr. H.C. Edgerton and filed in the Library of N.D.S.U. that a Sunday school was the foundation of the Wing Congregational Church. The Rev. E.H. Stickney organized a Sunday school in the Stanfield home, northwest of Wing in 1911. The success of this first church school encouraged a few pioneers to fill the need of a church in the new town of Wing. This was the first church to be established in the village. The First Congregational Church of Wing was incorporated on Dec. 12, 1911, with the following signers: Axel Soder, Bert Bailey and E.H. Bowen. Organization was completed in 1912. The charter members were: Mr. and Mrs. Axel Soder, Mrs. J.G. Tees,, Mr. and Mrs. David Mitchell, Mr. and Mrs. Harry Knowles, James Tees, Mrs. Ora Piepkorn, and Mr. and Mrs. Ed Hamlin.