Roughriders headed to state
By Coach George Levey
Southern McLean Track and Field
Congratulations to the Southern McLean Roughriders track and field team for another great performance at Saturday's South Central Region Meet at the Bismarck Community Bowl.
Overall, the boys team took second place in the South Central Region, with the girls bringing home the third place trophy. Congratulations to Kate Fox, regional champion in the 1600m and 3200m runs.
We added five more athletes and nine new events to our state-qualifying list. We now have a total of 13 athletes qualified for state in 18 events:
* Kate Fox – 1600m run, 3200m run and 800m run.
* McKenzie Thorson – high jump.
* Abby Tweeten – high jump.
* McKenna Weisenburger – pole vault.
* Caleb Weisgarber – 100m run, 200m run, 4x100 relay and 4x200 relay.
* Gunnar Hyttinen – 400m run, 4x100 relay, 4x200 relay and 4x400 relay.
* Cole Boyson – 800m run and 4x400 relay.
* Jacob Oberlander – 4x100 relay, 4x200 relay and 4x400 relay.
* Koby Hansen – 4x100 relay.
* Zach Schell – long jump, triple jump, high jump, 4x100 relay, 4x200 relay and 4x400 relay. (Yes, you read right – six events!)
* Brandon Jenkins – 4x200 relay.
* Tagen Bertolotto – javelin.
* Tucker Bergquist – pole vault.
We had many personal best performances from many different athletes – too many to mention – but their efforts are not without notice.
Thanks, coaches and volunteer coaches, for your dedication to help make all of this happen. And thank you, parents, for your support throughout the season.
Now let's get behind these athletes and see if we can get as many as possible on the awards stand at the State Track and Field Meet, May 22-23, at the Bismarck Community Bowl. We hope to see you all there!