December 12, 2015

Makoti couple loses home to fire

By Edna Sailor

Only days before the Thanksgiving holiday, Roxanne and Brian Smith of Makoti found themselves homeless from a fire that moved quickly throughout the structure.

"The home was completely burned out on the inside," Ralph Butterfield, Fire Chief of the Makoti Fire Department said.

"The first call came in about 8 a.m. on November 24. As people began to notice the smoke, we received a lot of calls," Butterfield said. "The Fire Marshall has determined that the fire probably stared in a freezer. Brian and the dogs were the only ones home and he was asleep at the time. When he awakened, he smelled the smoke and was able to get out with the dogs."

According to Brian Shawn, from American Red Cross, case notes indicate the house was a total loss.

"The Red Cross is providing immediate emergency services to the couple," Shawn said.


The Weather Network